Here’s another challenge for you guys who work in the office full time: For 1 whole week, twice during the work day, stand up and walk around for 5 minutes. If you’re feeling a little stronger, make it 10. The point is to try to break the activity of sitting for prolonged periods of time during the day which contributes significantly to obesity, bad backs, and bad knees. We already sit down for long periods of time during traffic, if you couple that with a whole work day sitting down, then you already know your problem. Here are some tips on how to make this habit easier to follow:
1. Drink plenty of water – Not only is water good for you, drinking a lot of water during the day means that you will have to frequently get up and go to the restroom.
2. Set your alarm twice during the work day – This reminds you to get up and start walking.
3. Walk during your lunch break – You can opt to buy some food outside of the office or just enjoy some sun (or walk in the rain).
4. Park far from your office – This ensures a 5-10 minute walk twice a day already so if you’re already doing this, you should still add 2 more walking breaks during the day. If you aren’t yet, try parking far.
5. Have walking meetings – Walking or any physical activity is good for brain function. Maybe you’ll get that next big idea in one of your walk breaks.